300th Opening Ceremony
Littleton Middle School on Saturday, June 21st, 2014 at 11:00 A.M.
Many of us began the day at the Littleton Middle School cafeteria with breakfast from 6:30 A.M. to 10:30 A.M., prepared by the Littleton Rotary Club. The small fee went to support a group that helps our students and many others in our community. The cost was $6.00 for adults and $3.00 for children. While enjoying breakfast many diners took in David Whitcomb’s “Then & Now” presentation. Others had a look at the multiple historical and military displays, as well as the 50-year-old time capsule available for viewing on the stage.
At 11:00 a.m. the festivities and dedication ceremonies began out on Alumni Field for the “Official Opening.” We raised the flags with Audrey & Jonah Bonner, winners of the drawing contest. Our own Charlotte Russell sang the national anthem, followed by the firing of the muskets with the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) Color Guard and Bedford Minuteman. We all recognized Littleton’s veterans. There were proclamation speeches and letters, the cutting of the ribbon, and recognition of those born in 1964. Many stayed for complimentary anniversary cake or cupcakes, and waters. To top it all off, there was a “family” softball game. It was a great way to spend a day with the family as we officially kicked off Littleton’s Tercentenary! It was all beautifully laid out in the Opening Ceremony Program.
- Rotary Pancake Breakfast 6:30 a.m.–10:30 a.m.
- 250th Time Capsule Display
- 300th Time Capsule Suggestion Box
- Historical Artifact Displays
- Following the Breakfast at 11:00 a.m.
- March to Alumni Field: Sons of American Revolution
- Raising of the U.S.A & Littleton Town Flags
- National Anthem: Charlotte Russell
- Musket Firing
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- Invocation: Rev. Sally Calhoun
- General Committee Chairman: Jack Holmer
- Senator James Eldridge
- Representative James Arciero
- State Auditor Suzanne Bump
- US Senator Elizabeth Warren
- William E. Battles III, SAR Past President
- Introduction of Honorees: Town Veterans
- Littleton Residents: Birth Year 1964
- Selectmen: Joseph Knox, Chair
- James Karr, Vice Chair
- Melissa Hebert, Clerk
- Keith Bergman, Town Administrator
- Littleton Clergy
- Patriot Honors @ Old Burial Ground
- Immediately following: Family Softball Game Middle School Softball Field
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- Sons of the American Revolution Civil War Historian
- Littleton Historical Society
- “Littleton Then & Now”
ANNIVERSARY CAKE AND CUPCAKES
- Donated by: Donelan’s Supermarket
- On Display at the Town Common
- Special Thanks to:
- Littleton Lumber Corp
- Nashoba Valley Technical High School
- Painting & Design:
- Harvey Atkins, Yvonne Krawiec & Carolyn
- Lenny Leonardo
- Littleton Highway Dept.
- Littleton Electric Light & Water Dept.
- Diane Crory, Chair
- Mark Crory, Video & Sound
- Michael Crory, Vice Chair
- Harvey Atkins
- Patricia Bancroft
- Melissa Hebert
- Patricia Legenza
- John Leger
- Elaine Dewey Sczylvian
- Greg Webber
The 300th Time Capsule!
We want to thank everyone who submitted items to be included in the 300th time capsule.